Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Final Blog or Eat Less, Move More

It's February 4th, which means it's just about exactly 4 months since the final weigh in/filming.
(Oops)

I didn't talk much in my last blog about the actual experience of the last couple of days, just the results....but for posterity, check out those results!

BEFORE
Weight: 161 lbs
Waist: 35.25"
Hips: 39"
Thigh: 24"
Arm: 12.5"


AFTER
Weight: 148 lbs
Waist: 32"
Hips: 36"
Thigh: 22.75"
Arm: 11.5"

Anyway, I probably won't talk about the last couple days too much here either...less than I would have had I not waited 4 months to finally write about it anyway.

I think Katie summed it up nicely in her most recently blog. It really was awkward.

The photo shoot was kinda fun, while basking in the glow of a successful weigh in. It was nice to take the after photos with Aaron (cute photographer from Day 1) with more body confidence than the first day. But still...bikinis and heels? Really? Yes...really. Soooooo Awkward.

And then the interview. Boy howdy. Lights and camera's all on me and I am not a fan of being the center of attention. Awkward. Then trying to answer questions and try to sound sincere but animated and excited. Then having to repeat things that were good sound bites over and over and each time sounding less sincere (but more animated) and trailing off...you got it...awkwardly. Not that it was all bad, or even really bad at all. It was fun to get ridiculous stage makeup done and go through such a strange experience that I can't help to look back on it fondly. Plus I made Mindy a little misty in one of my more sincere moments (I'll admit, I had a bit of a lump in my throat too) so that was pretty cool.

The B-roll shoot (all the stuff you see during voice overs in an infomercial) was hilarious! Posing in front of a mirror that I couldn't see myself in checking out my flat tummy. Measuring my waist while tilting my head just right. Pretending to weigh myself and trying to feign a look of surprise and joy as if it was the first time. AWKWARD. Let's just say I'm no actress and I would love (and hate) to see a montage of my most awkward moments from that part of the day.

All in all, awkward moments included, this was an amazing experience. So much so that life felt a little flat and purposeless for a couple weeks afterward. I missed the looming deadline and the challenge and the nightly ass kicking from Mindy and the camaraderie of a shared experience. I still do, really.

I'm happy to report though, that I have not put the weight back on so far. I'm pretty shocked considering the last four months have included Halloween (it's been so good to be able to eat candy again!), 3 (yes 3) Thanksgiving dinners, 2 Christmas dinners, New Years, and my birthday.

I've learned the secret formula and so far it's stuck with me, even through the holidays. I gave you a hint in the title, but here it is in more detail...eat less, move more.

I saw a couple of news links saying studies show that more exercise does not necessarily lead to weight loss (gasp!) but they continued on to say that it's because a lot of people reward themselves (sometimes unconsciously, sometimes not) for exercising by eating more food. I realize that is exactly what I used to do and that's exactly why I held onto those 10 extra pounds for years. And though the infomercial diet was definitely a challenge I have upped my caloric intake since I'm not still trying to lose weight and I never feel deprived. I just don't take seconds anymore and I take smaller portions and I chew gum when I'm feeling mouth hungry and I try to not mindlessly eat (unless I'm surrounded by gummies and finger sandwiches on my birthday...bring it on). I also work out more days than I don't and some days harder than others but I take a day off when I need or want to.

It sounds so easy...it certainly seems a lot easier coming from the side of maintaining a goal rather than reaching it...but it can be so hard. I am so grateful for the whole experience and everyone involved (especially Mindy, 'cause she's a rockstar!) because I think it would have taken me a lot longer to figure it out for myself, if ever.



Now, without further ado..... THE BEFORE AND AFTERS!!!




boo yah

1 comment:

  1. You look sooooo good!! And you summed up the experience really well!!

    ReplyDelete