Monday, September 7, 2009

Fit Club, where the cool kids are


I have always been someone who struggles with my weight, I was never one of those girls who was naturally thin even as a child. As soon as puberty hit at a young age I got curves and I had a hard time fitting into "juinors" clothes and shopping in the same places my friends were. This led to me hiding my body in boys clothes or ill fitting girls clothes for most of my teenage years. It also didn't help that I was never in sports and I really liked my soda! In high school I developed a thyroid condition that made my weight fluctuate to the extreme. I never dieted or did anything to lose the weight but was constantly up and down, thin, heavy, thin, heavy.

As an adult I learned to eat healthier and that helped with my ups and downs but without my thyroid in check and not exercising I still wasn't where I wanted to be. I always looked at being fit like a wonderful dream, I didn't really view it as something I could be. I was always like, some girls are fit and some aren't and that's just the way it is, like some people are born with green eyes and some blue. I never came to the realization that anyone could be one of those "fit" people if they wanted to be. So I just let my thyroid decide if I was to be thin or heavy this year.

Then I decided to turn away from a career of working with teenagers and follow my dream of becoming a Pastry Chef! (not the best career choice for one who struggles with their weight!) I'm now going to school for Culinary Arts and I'm a Confection Chef! I work with sugar, chocolate and butter every day!! I gained more weight than ever in my first semester of baking school and it helped me to realize I had to take charge of my weight or it would get the better of me! I don't want to spend the rest of my life uncomfortable and overweight! So at the beginning of this year my Dr. was finally able to get my thyroid medication right and I decided that this would be a good time to get into shape and this year I made a commitment to make it happen. I've lost about 10 to 15 lbs so far and though I was exercising more I still wasn't getting enough exercise in. It was about this time that Joanna, Katie and I decided to commit to getting in shape by the holidays and to support each other in our efforts. As soon as we decided to make it happen this opportunity came along, the timing couldn't have been better! I'm a little nervous about how I'm going to feel the first week because I've never really been in shape before, but for the most part I'm just really excited that I'm going to to finally get to be one of those "fit" people! I will be so proud of myself and I'm going to start living life feeling good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment